Saturday, July 21, 2012

Lawnmower Beer by NIck Anderson

Mrs. Beermonger and I are moving into a new home this weekend, and it has completely taken over our lives. We’ve always heard of the “joys of homeownership,” but we were blindsided by the sheer amount of work that needed to be put into the place before we officially move in.

Luckily, in the course of spackling, grouting, sanding, taping, painting (so much painting), and moving stuff, I’ve found a handful of brews that I’d like to recommend if you have a big summer project to get done, or if you’re just looking for a new “lawnmower beer.” Here we go:

Bell’s Oarsman: I tout this beer often, perhaps too much. All I can say after the last couple of weeks is that after getting back to my current place from my future place, often times after having spent the day at my job, this stuff is like water. Except better, because it’s beer.

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Ale: A lovely Wheat Ale that flaunts its yeasty character but doesn’t have the overpowering banana/clove component often seen in such beers. This is a refreshing beer with citrusy and subtle minty notes.

Terrapin Easy Rider: One of my newer obsessions. We’ve started to see the rise of hoppy Session beers, and this amber-tinged gem from Athens, GA is a standout. The malts are just right, and Easy Rider packs a hoppy punch that belies its 4.5% ABV.

21st Amendment Bitter American: The vanguard of the hoppy Session movement. Bitter American is, ironically, based off of an English-style ESB that sees some dry-hopping. Originally a seasonal release, Bitter American proved so popular that 21st made it available all year long. Smart move.

Dogfish Head Festina Peche: I love me some tart beer goodness, and this Berlinerweisse-style Ale brings it. Clear, clean, with subtle fruit notes, Peche is a great summer treat.

Keep some of these on hand this summer to refresh and revive yourself after working in our area’s absurd heat and humidity. Until next time.

Cheers!

Nick Anderson maintains a blog at www.beermonger.net, and can be found on Twitter at @The_Beermonger.

No comments:

Post a Comment